With a General English Course, the aim is to help students improve their ability to communicate effectively. The General English Course focuses on the main language skills: reading, writing, listening and speaking. Depending on location, classes can vary from between 15 to 20 per week, and last no longer than 60 minutes per lesson. Class size varies from an average of 6 to 12 students per class to allow for best possible learning experience. Each student will receive a certificate at the end of the course.
School: German Language School Berlin (GLS)
Lessons: 20, 25 or 30 lessons per week
Timetable: 9:00 – 12:30, Monday to Friday
Start Date: Every Monday
Level: All levels
The German Language School was founded in 1983 and is the only language school in Germany with an urban campus that includes two hotels. The students have the option to live on campus while learning German in Berlin. GLS offers programs for both adult and junior students and also is a test center for TestDaF and telc German. The school has repeatedly received the Star School German Award. The GLS is located in the very center of Berlin in a trendy neighbourhood in the district of Prenzlauer Berg.
The school uses the communicative approach where the German language is the only spoken language in the class. The teachers have university degrees and are qualified as teachers of German as a foreign language. They work in pairs, with two teachers responsible for a class, alternating after every break. All courses are built on the four fundamental skills: oral comprehension, writing, reading and speaking. Free class discussions, role-plays and conversations help develop verbal expression, vocabulary and good sentence structure. Also a written evaluation test every Friday and personalised feedback from teachers allow students to check their progress.
- 20 lessons per week – each lesson: 45 min (9:00 – 12:30)
- GLS Certificate at end of Course*, documenting their level of German on the European Framework scale A1 – C2.
- Individual student report
- Registration fee
- Teaching materials
- Afternoon and Evening Social and Cultural Programme
- Free Wi-Fi
- E-Learning Platform
- Student Coffee Room & Garden
- All classrooms with smart boards or touch screens
- Book Store
- Help Desk
- *The GLS certificate is free of charge, unlike TestDaF, telc or Goethe certificates
- A placement test before starting the course is obligatory for all new students
- Students have an interview with one of our teachers before starting their classes on Monday and may then arrive to the GLS reception at 08:45
- Students with no previous knowledge of German won’t have to take the test and can come at 09:15
- Textbooks are included in the course price
- The school for adults is open all year round, including the period between Christmas and New Year
- Lessons missed due to public holidays will not be replaced or refunded (except one-to-one courses: days missed will not be invoiced)